February 10, 2008

The sorting sort of people

You ever notice how much in media and advertisements when they show couples, both people usually appear to be of the same ethnic background and often even have similar hair colors?

I started noticing this kind of thing especially when my brother's wedding preparation was going on. My brother is Caucasian as I am and has brown hair. His wife is actually Armenian, so she has Middle Eastern features- along with dark curly hair. You know those bride and grooms figurines that go on top of wedding cakes? Well, here's pretty much the choices:

Groom- Blond, Bride- Blond
Groom- Darker hair, Bride- Darker hair
Groom- Darker hair, Bride- Blond
Groom and Bride- African American couple.
(maybe also an option where they both have brown hair)

See how limited that is?

Anyway, that's sort of what had me REALLY start noticing these things.

I've been watching TV a lot more lately (maybe because my web drama has been on break for two weeks since the season finale- it comes back tomorrow!). I've been noticing a lot of that similar trend especially in commercials. I recall a commercial for some dating site- pretty much ALL of the "matches" that were shown were of people the same skin and hair color. Yes, I mean blonds with blonds and brunettes with brunettes, even!

It goes beyond race- it's just ridiculous.

I mean, there's nothing wrong with being with someone who just happens to have similar traits as you- but it's really ODD to imply that people would seek that out specifically. It boggles my mind, personally.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It is ridiculous. Supposedly I read once that what is considered as "attractive" couples have similar hair color. Which makes unattractive couples with different hair colors. I know, it's absolutely ridiculous.