April 30, 2008

On the way home today

I was on HWY 1 and saw an ambulance approaching in my rear view mirror and was about to slow down and pull over to let it pass, but this obnoxious vehicle just wasn't slowing behind me. In fact, NO ONE else was slowing down. I felt like it was unsafe for me to, so I kept going.

I'm going to run that scenario by my mom later, because she used to work in ambulances, so I ask her all of the random safety questions that pop into my head.

Anyway,

I approached the exit for the 156 junction and I went to the right lane, so that the ambulance could get into the left once it approached.

The asshole who was behind me remained in the left exit lane and nearly CRASHED with the ambulance as it tried to get into that lane. (Yes, it's sirens were on and anyone who was paying attention could tell it WAS in a hurry.)

I was really mad at this guy because, well, I guess since my mom used to work in ambulances and my dad used to be a firefighter, I think I have a kind of heightened awareness of what I personally need to do when something like that happens.

The car accident that the ambulance was rushing to took place at the end of the overpass at the beginning of 156. They were blocking the left turn lane to Castroville boulevard. Of course, traffic was closed. I could PLAINLY see that the left turn lane ahead was blocked my a crashed car, a fire engine, and an ambulance, but some jerk behind be thought he'd try to get ahead of everyone by getting into the left lane. I watched as he approached behind the fire engine and realized "Uh oh, I can't go forward anymore!"

Nope, I didn't let him get back into the moving lane in front of me.
Quite a few cars witnessed what he did, so I imagine he had some trouble with that.
I hope so anyway.

So yeah, that was the worst display of behavior at and around a accident scene I've personally witnessed yet. (Since I've started driving, I suppose.)

On another note (something I noticed right before all of this happened)- motorcyclists with handicap stickers on their license plates aren't very scary.

Lol, just saying.

Anyway, got to go meet my dad and April (his wife) for dinner. We're having Thai food (yaaay!)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I hate drivers like that! Assholes.

And yea, there's a lot of OLD motorcyclists out there. Trying to get their last thrill out of life before they keel over.