March 07, 2008

Come again?

I saw a petition on facebook this evening trying to defend homeschooling. I guess there's some law that might be passed here in California that would make end homeschooling.

At first I thought it was strange, so I thought it was just someone starting stupid rumors again, but then I looked it up and it actually seems to be legit.

From my understanding (because I'm a senior in college and I've mastered the "art" of skimming), these are the criticisms of homeschooling-

1) Parents without teaching credentials... TEACHING.
2) Giving young people a very sided, biased (often religious) view of the world.

I'd go more into this group that's defending homeschooling, but I'd rather not because of the group's close association with religious groups doesn't exactly HELP against the second claim.

But again, I skimmed- whatever, I don't care.

Here's my experience from when I was home schooled during middle school---

1) My mom DOES indeed have a teaching credential. And besides that the Monterey County Office of Education assigned me to a "resource teacher" who would come by weekly (every two weeks?) to monitor my progress and to provide me with textbooks. So yeah, it wasn't just my mom picking subjects out of a hat or anything.

2) I know some people who read my blog KNOW that I left my elementary school on less than good terms. After a pretty bad experience which is actually for the most part blocked from my memory, I had very little desire, will, or ability(?) to have day-to-day interactions with kids my age. Plus I had health issues which were new to me at the time as well. In short, my mom didn't pull me out of school so that she could brainwash me with her views of the world- she pulled me out of school because I needed to be pulled out of school.

So, although it looked legit- it seems like the argument are running off of stereotypes and lack of real knowledge of the situation- which makes me not really want to take this seriously. I guess it would be fair of me to actually do some real reading on this, but I still really don't care to. (lol)

Why did I write this blog, anyway?

No comments: