December 05, 2008

No one cares about that, Julia

I think I realized why I thought to write that last post.

I worry too much that I might be the only person who cares about something that I'm making a deal of.

Maybe everyone feels that way. I honestly don't know.

Ew, this blog off to a bad start. This was worded much better in my head, but then I started writing something else in my head and I lost exactly how I was going to go about this topic.

Have you ever had it happen that you were trying to convince someone of something in a group in all of the sudden you realize that you're the only one that really cares either way? You feel really stupid about it, right?

I felt that way for a while when I was younger and I still think about it a lot now.

Like when the other graduating WLC Japanese majors and I were signing a card for the Japanese teachers and one of them pointed out that it was weird that I thought we should all sign in the same color pen. Luckily, because it hadn't dawned on me that this was unusual, I was able to find the situation funny.

But yeah, there are times when I don't necessarily agree that what I am talking about is pointless or just flat out ridiculous.

Last weekend was a Thanksgiving dinner at another ALTs house and I bought chicken from KFC. Because it was expensive, I bought only enough that each person in the headcount I was given could have one piece. It turned out that there were a few more guests than what was expected.

So, when we were lining up to get the food, I spoke up to make sure everyone knew that there wasn't too much chicken to go around.

And then later, there still seemed to be some left and someone commented that I was "flipping out" about the chicken earlier.

.....sorry? I wasn't flipping out. I was trying to make sure that everyone who really wanted a piece of chicken could have one.

I'm figuring this person uses the phrase "flipping out" loosely and was just innocently unaware of how sensitive I can be to hearing that.

I really don't want to feel like the crazy person who freaks out about stupid things.

....

Am I flipping out over worrying about flipping out?

Arg.

I'm going to end this blog with a quote that is only relevant because this IS a blog.

"Blogging is not about perfection. Blogging is about intimacy, immediacy, transparency, and sharing your thoughts the way you share it with a friend." –Arianna Huffington, The Daily Show, December 3rd, 2008

When I saw that Jon Stewart had a guest who was going to talk about blogs, I thought that she was going to talk about blogs written by famous people or people living in places where history is happening. Instead, she talked about regular blogs. Anyway, that made me happy- for all that's worth. ;)

2 comments:

Flying with Enoch (Jesse Caron) said...

I think we all have our pet issues that are bigger to us then they are to most.
Maybe you get worked up about yours. Maybe that means that one of your pet issues is having pet issues. Ironic.
Anyway though, I assure you that you are quite sane and there is very little wrong with you. I mean if you need proof look at your older brother and know the apple doesn't fall too far from the tree.

Unknown said...

I know exactly what you mean. People think that I get worked up all the time over little things. Sometimes I am really worked up about and sometimes I'm just acting like I am (it comes with the dramatic personality). More times than not I'm mostly upset when I say nothing at all. But no one seems to catch that now do they?