June 22, 2008

The nomadic life

These past few days have been REALLY hectic.

Today was the last day to move things out. I was out of town Saturday-Sunday, so I missed much of the final cleaning out of the house. Mom and David ended up putting a lot of things that were left over outside with a tarp over it because they found they didn't have time to properly take care of everything. It should be okay because nothing really valuable is in that bunch, anyway.


I went to San Francisco on Saturday for a JET orientation on Sunday. Saturday was a crazy day in itself-

The morning was much like the previous mornings- HOT due to the heatwave we were having. Then, around noontime, all of the sudden clouds came in and we had a storm complete with rain, thunder, and lighting. It was the longest thunder and lightning storm I've seen in this area for a long time. Anyway, so I took off for San Francisco in the midst of that storm and it followed me a good portion of the way.

Then, when I got out of the stormy weather, I was pretty much in the Bay Area so I had to narrowly dodge two car accidents with careless lane changers. It was pretty scary. However, I got to my aunt's house in San Fran successfully without missing a single exit. (yaaaaaay!)

I hung out at my aunt's house for a little while before taking off for the BART station to meet Bethany and Billy at 24th and Market. My aunt suggested that stop as some place we can look around for a good place to eat dinner, but she told me later that she forgot to tell me exactly where the good places are. We wandered around the streets a little and decided to do a "taco tour" due to the number of Mexican places around. Our "taco tour" consisted of just two places in the end. I'll have to admit that I personally lost some enthusiasm for the tour after finding that the first place was going to be a tough act to follow. Sure enough, the second place was nowhere as good. Anyway, we had fun walking around the area. Woo! Go Taco Tour! (haha)

My aunt picked me up from there and she drove me a little ways to where the restaurants she had in mind were, they were actually more trendier places. It was kind of funny how off we were in our "taco tour", but I think it suited us better anyway.

The next day was the JET orientation, which was REALLY informative, interesting, and pretty fun. I suppose it has to be a good orientation if it's supposed keep people around from 10-4. Of course I wore my black suit jacket, white button up shirt, and black skirt because, as it seems to always work with JET, there was a business casual dress code. (I think it's kind of funny how much I've had to wear that black suit jacket and black skirt since the JET interview.)

My aunt took me out to dinner after the orientation and we went to an East Indian restaurant where I had really great chicken curry and really big and fluffy naan bread. It was so great that I think the part of my heart that broke after learning Indian Clay Oven closed mended a little. :)

I was REALLY tired driving on the way back, so I was relieved and happy to arrive back at "home" again safely.

On the topic of "home," the housesitting house has yet to really feel like some place I really belong. We're working on making this place suit us better for the time being, but really it's still kind of odd. I don't know if I mentioned this before, but a few days before we moved in, we opened the hide-a-bed(?) couch where I was supposed to sleep and found that a mouse had made it's home there. We cleaned it, put the mattress outside (replaced it with a futon mattress), so everything is sanitary, but still when I close the doors I still smell that the house was settled there. We keep intending to cleaning more to get the smell away, but we haven't gotten around to that yet. It's hard to feel like I have my own space when I don't even feel like I can keep the doors shut for more than little while. Hopefully, though, it'll be taken care of soon.

My car, it seems, will be sold and out of my hands on Thursday.

The lack of my own closed off space and how my car will be sold soon is the combination for why I'm feeling kind of awkward and uncomfortable here. I don't feel like I should be taking off in my car because it doesn't entirely feel like I should and I don't feel like I have my comfortable space to get away in the house yet. (Plus David's less than cheery disposition in response to the stress as of lately.) I keep feeling antsy and like I really want to go somewhere and get away from the house. *sigh* Hopefully this feeling will improve when I can shut my doors. And if it doesn't, I guess it will make me more eager to leave for Japan and easier for leave despite things (people) I'm leaving behind. (Aaaaah, sad thoughts.)

On the topic of trying not to think about leaving people behind to go to Japan, I have been feeling a lot more sensitive lately because of that. I am, of course, psyched to be moving to Japan, but I know I'm not going to like the good byes. I've been avoiding sad things lately, like I used to watch Japanese drama and read books that are sad, but now I am avoiding them for more cheerful, humorous things.

Anyway, here's a long blog. I'm a lot more awake now and I used an outline, so hopefully this is a lot more structured that the other blogs I've been posting lately. I can't promise there are no typos, though, because for some reason, as I've mentioned before, spell (& typo) checking isn't something I usually end up doing or worrying about on my blog. Sorry if something makes absolutely no sense at all. :D

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Taco Tour 2008!! WOOT! And Billy and I agree, the taco tour suited us better. ;)

Unknown said...

Also, good luck with trying to make the house-sitting house feel more like home. Trust me, I know the feeling. You deserve to feel like you're home before you have to leave for a brand new adventure.

Flying with Enoch (Jesse Caron) said...

Poor Jul face.

I wish I could have been there to help you guys move, too bad it was the week of camp.

I'm disliking SF more and more every time I go. Between the drivers and the fact that you can't find a bathroom within 100 miles of anywhere you'd like to be.

In regards to the stress over there can you find a way to come to Fresno for awhile? You can crash with Arpee and I and we'll make sure you're comfortable.