May 16, 2009

Power walk

So I started exercising recently. This was inspired by a number of things.

One of those things was standing in a dressing room trying on a shirt and realizing that sitting around sick most of Golden Week gave me a little more of a tummy than what I had before. I've actually first realized that I had a little bit of one senior year of high school and sort of wanted to actively try to get rid of it since then.

Umm... wow, there were other things that inspired this, but I can't remember what they are right now. I totally listed them to Bethany the other day via AIM, but it's gone now.

Anyway, these are the things that I thought of-

1) This time I will start easy: My first semester at CSUMB, I had decided that for my fitness goal for my health class, I would take up jogging. But, unfortunately, that was probably one of the most unhealthiest periods of my life. I wasn't eating very well and I was under lots of stress. I felt really dizzy and sick after trying and I couldn't keep it up. It was really discouraging. I realize now that I was aiming too high, too quickly, and at the wrong time. When I exercised at Curves about a year later, it was really nice because I could pretty much pace myself however I wanted.

2) I don't need to spend money: Because I am starting easy, there is no need for me to get a gym membership or to buy any equipment. I can just do things that I can do easily in and around my apartment building. I will spend money on my habits I have, rather than spend money on habits I WANT to have like many other people do.

So with this healthy and realistic mindset, I started exercising.

I started last week and so far it's been 2 times a week. I aim for everyday except for the day I have my Japanese lesson, but naturally feeling icky and having plans get in the way. I figure that 6 times a week is a tad too much, but if I intend to do that much, but allow myself little excuses not to, I'll average 3-4 times.

Like I said before, I'm start off really easy.

First of all, I go for a power walk around the neighborhood of building. I usually do this after dark because I kind of just want to exercise and not think about being "the foreigner". Plus, I've already preferred working out later in the day because I don't worry about saving energy for the rest of the day. Plus, I don't mind sweating because I will jump into my nightly shower right after.

I figure this power walk will turn into a jog eventually, but I want to make sure that I can actually jog the whole distance without tiring myself out first. If I let that happen, it would all be pointless, right?

I get home and I do crunches (sit ups for wimps) and then I do a wimpy version of push ups (my arms need work!). Then I stretch for a little while and then run in place until the song I am listening to ends. Then I enjoy a nice shower.

Sounds good, right? :) I feel good about it.

No comments: