May 28, 2009

Broken windshield

Today I returned back to the teacher's room from 4th period a little earlier than usual. I was relieved that the class finished early because those 2nd graders were a very rowdy bunch and I kind of wanted a little bit of recovery time before rejoining the same kids for lunch.

No sooner than when I walked in the room with my mind on washing my hands and helping the teacher set up the lunch trays, I was asked to go to the principal's office. The principal started talking to me about my car and I assumed at first that I parked somewhere wrong or something.

When it dawned on me that what he was trying to explain to me was that my windshield was broken, I was really surprised.

It turned out, from what I understood, a student was trying to hit something in a tree with a stone and it accidentally fell on my windshield instead.

I wasn't mad at the student because kids make careless mistakes all of the time.

Anyway, they called the student in to come in and apologize- which he did. But then, the principal, vice principal, and his teacher were all trying to get him to tell us what exactly happened. This poor kid obviously was really upset and he could hardly say anything. I felt really bad for him. I mean, my windshield will be repaired and it will be no big deal for me in the soon to be future, but I think this situation will bother the kid a lot more.

The whole situation was entirely uncomfortable to me- witnessing and having this child's guilt directed towards me as if I were angry about it and, a little while later, all of his mother's apologizes.

Luckily I don't have to pay for anything. The repair place has my car until Saturday or Sunday and they let me borrow a car in the meantime.

Man, today was a crazy, crazy day.

1 comment:

Snapkins said...

crappy that it happened, but it's great that you don't have to pay for anything... and it if happened to anyone else, they would have probably been really mad!

go you, cousin :)