January 19, 2010

Mornings

When I set my alarm clocks at night, I choose a song on my iPod to wake up to in the morning very carefully. Sometimes I go for something calm sound so that I am not too surprised when it wakes me and sometimes I choose a song that I think will energize me.

But it's always just noise at 7 am.

I know for a fact I haven't been getting enough sleep.

I pick up my cell phone from the table next to my bed and I check my email and twitter. Yes, I know that I can easily do it on the computer if I just get up- but for a while this worked to help me try to wake up.

This morning, however, I just got disoriented and kept reading the same tweets over and over.

At some point, my cell phone alarm set for 7:05 goes off.

Whether I can get up immediately depends on how cold it is. My main concern is that where I am is warm and outside of that is NOT. All that's in my world at those moments is my bed and the ridiculously high pile of blankets that I feel that I need to have.

But I resolve to get myself to get up.

So I quietly countdown...

"5... 4... 3... 2... 1...."

...and I get up about 15 seconds later.

And then what's usually the worst part of my day is officially over with.

No comments: