November 27, 2009

Why I am, like, super cool

This morning, I was full of dread. I had a class today with the elementary school teacher that I've had the worst experience with so far. The guy never used me in class, so basically I would end up standing there watching and listening as he relied on the bad recordings from the software that comes with the textbook and speaking to the students in his own terrible English.

Last month, after my last class with him, I actually got fed up with this and complained to the vice principal before I left. This was going to be my first time going to that school since then.

'What approach will the vice principal take?' I wondered as I drove to the school.

I decided that I didn't want a confrontation or apology- I decided that if a meeting was calling between me, him, and the vice principal, I would try to redirect it to something more productive like talking about how I can contribute to the class.

I got to the school about an hour and a half before the class I had with that teacher. They told me to get there early, which made me think there was a meeting, but the teacher's room was empty. This gave me time to think and I decided what I was going to do. The bell rang and teachers started coming back into the teacher room. I engaged in small talk with them to warm up my Japanese so that I could speak as eloquently as possible to the teacher I had issues with.

Finally, five minutes before the class, that teacher walked in and came up to me. I asked him to explain the lesson plan to me. Then, I began telling him bit-by-bit all of the things I can do to play an active part in the lesson- including explaining why it would be more beneficial/helpful to the students. Perhaps my Japanese wasn't perfect, but he understood and I was able to play an active role in the class. It wasn't perfect, but I left the class in a good mood and I think the kids enjoyed it a little bit, too. (And the teacher got to learn some correct English phrases... :) )

I am not sure if the vice principal said anything to him, but I am very glad that I was able to work my way through this in a mature, polite, yet direct way. It's so hard to have issues with people in this country because it can be really hard to balance "politeness" with "directness" in this culture.

At one point, we were doing an activity where he had to ask me a question and I would answer it. I wrote the question he had to ask on the board as if I were doing it for the students, but actually I was doing it just as much. There is an art to being subtle and I wish I mastered it to this extent every day. (....actually, I think I am generally pretty good at that.)

During the next period, I got to join in on a music class with 3rd graders. I attempted to play a song on the recorder with them and tried to sing along with Japanese songs I have never heard before in my life. At one point, the kids had to tally up scores and I actually helped a girl with her math- IN JAPANESE! Crazy, right?

I had lunch with 4th graders and I told the group I was eating with that my brother used to try to get various beverages to come out of nose when I was a kid. I tried to make that happen with the kids sitting around me as they were drinking milk. After everyone hurriedly emptied their milk cartons when I wasn't looking, I entertained them with my ever-growing repertoire of silly facial expressions. (I'm always a little surprised by the number of people who are impressed by them!)

After that I had a class with 6th graders, which was also a very good class.

All in all it was a pretty good day.

Krystina, Bethany- I know it's only been a few days, but I miss chatting with you guys. :) Although you only would have heard me complain all day on Thursday (my time.)

Oh, and hope you all had a Happy Thanksgiving. Sorry, I'm just not in the right country to think of that.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I'm glad you were able to deal with that difficult teacher, and hopefully he will use your help in the future.

I believe I was working a lot that week so I am sorry I wasn't online as much.

But I am very glad you had a good day. :)