November 19, 2009

after a while, crocodile

It's Sam's birthday (in the US) and what better time than this to chronicle my lifetime aversion to crocodiles.

This applies to alligators, as well. I've been told a few times what the difference between alligators and crocodiles is, but I keep forgetting. For some reason, I figure alligators are a little less creepy than crocodiles- so this blog is about crocodiles.

Ready... set... and GO!

So I was reading an article earlier today talking about fossils that were found in the Sahara of different never before discovered species of crocodiles that once existed. Anyway, the article was in interesting, but somewhere inside of me I felt a feeling I've had from long ago return to me.

I think crocodiles are really terrifying animals. I would have to say that they would probably be near the top of the list of "animals I never want to be near in any kind of circumstance". I guess (like many of my childhood fears), it started from watching something on TV.

Note that I have -never- lived anywhere with crocodiles. Or alligators, for that matter.

(I just searched alligator to find out where those live and just a picture scared the crap out of me. OK- alligators are equally terrifying. From here, this blog will be equally about alligators.)

Ahem... as I was saying. I don't think I've ever even been in an area that has crocodiles or alligators before- and I can't say I really want to.

Most people are afraid of sharks- which makes sense, but really you're safe from them if you just stay out of the water. Crocodiles and alligators can swim and crawl... and alligators can climb trees, too- I can barely do that.

Imagine you're running from an alligator or a crocodile and you're not sure which kind it is, so you don't know whether you can climb a tree to escape or not. o_O (I'm kidding)

OK- so I can pretty much dismiss scary sea animals with the same argument that I used with sharks.

Mammals can be scary animals, but since we are mammals too and most of our domesticated animals that we can develop friendships with are as well, you can predict them a little easier because their mannerisms are familiar.

Birds are just ridiculous. They creep me out sometimes, but they are nowhere as creepy as the reptile family.

Crocodiles. Alligators. They just float there, blending into things and ALL OF THE SUDDEN THEY ATTACK!

"In land they can catch you running. they have even eatean pet dogs. "


.... D:>

These animals have to be the only ones that can totally creep me out just thinking of them.

If you know of a more terrifying animal, let me know- I can't think of one.

(Earlier today, I keep wanting to type "crocolate" instead of "crocodile" for some reason... weird. Guess I had chocolate on the brain.)

No comments: