March 04, 2010

Hello March

Today was my last day to say goodbye to my graduating 3rd year JHS students. Some of them are really good kids and I am going to miss being their teacher. It makes me sad to see them go. It's funny that I can feel so attached to them when I don't really even know them well at all. Despite the fact I don't know a lot about them and considering how many students I have and how little time I had for each individual student, I learned a lot about their personalities and had fun interacting with them. I think, all and all, I made good use of the time we had together.

A big story in the news today back in the US is the protests of the budget cuts in higher education. I was surprised to hear the enormity of the protests and was sad to hear that so many students had been arrested because of them. I've been calculating how much money I have for grad school over and over these days, so I understood how terrible these students feel to have the impossibility known as "having money" get in the way of their dreams and what they want to achieve.

I think everyone should have a chance to be educated well and at least make an effort to get where they want to go in life. Of course there should be barriers- because, as they say, nothing is worth having that's not worth fighting for, but there's something wrong with the system if the barriers are simply too strong.

Today is a rather sappy day in which I keep getting myself upset over things. Sorry if this blog goes off the emo charts.

No comments: